In order to maintain and enhance the quality of higher education and research at universities in Japan and contribute to the development of their individuality and diversity, NIAD-QE conducts the institutional certified evaluation and accreditation of universities for the following purposes and policies.
・ To assure the quality of education and research of universities
・ To enhance the quality of education and research of universities in keeping with their respective missions, promote improvement, and develop their strengths
・ To assist universities in gaining public understanding of and support for their education and research activities
- (1) Establishment of the Standards for Evaluation and Accreditation of Universities
- (2) Focus on educational activities
- (3) Contribution to the development of individuality and enhancement of quality
- (4) Emphasis on internal quality assurance
- (5) Emphasis on learning outcomes
- (6) Fair evaluation by peers
- (7) Consistency with international trends in quality assurance
Japanese legislation obliges all national, municipal/prefectural and private universities to be evaluated by an organization certified by the MEXT’s Minister at least once every seven years. NIAD-QE’s first cycle of institutional certified evaluation and accreditation of universities was from FY2005 to FY2011. The second cycle was from FY2012 to FY 2018. The third cycle began in FY2019 and will continue until FY2025.